Welcome To The Programs Page
Community Support Home Program
1. Foster Care Program
Métis Child & Family Services Society (MCFSS) Edmonton provides support for Children and Youth who are in the care of Alberta Child and Youth Services and we are seeking compassionate, caring individuals to provide a home for our Children and Youth.
- Foster families are provided with ongoing training and support through Métis Child & Family Services to enable them to provide the best care possible.
- Support group meetings enable out foster families to share their strength, wisdom, knowledge and experiences with each other.
Criteria for Becoming a Foster Care Family:
- Application(s) must be at least 18 years of age.
- All members within the applicant(s) family home must be interested.
- Applicant(s) should be emotionally, financially and physically stable.
- Applicant(s) must be willing to encourage and support contact between child and his/her natural family.
- Applicant(s) must be comfortable with the Aboriginal community and Child’s family members.
- Applicant(s) must be willing to invest time into Orientation Caregivers training and Mandatory training
- Applicant(s) residence must be licensed by the Child and Youth Licensing Unit.
Agency Support Programs
2. Aboriginal Child and Family Support Program
Is an intervention program, which supports families and youth with present or past involvement with Alberta Child and Youth Services. Services offered are advocacy, in-home support, youth work, informal counseling and community referral supports.
3. Aboriginal Family Services Program
Is a preventative program for children, youth and/or families, who are not involved with Alberta Child and youth Services, struggling with issues such as parent-child conflict and grief and loss. Services offered are advocacy, in-home support, youth work, informal counseling and community referral supports.
4. Family Violence Program
A program that assists individuals with exiting and abusive situation and/or work on a safety plan to maintain a healthy and safe environment. Services that are offered are advocacy, in-home support, informal counseling and community referral supports.
5. Justice Program
A court assisted program for youth and families needing support and advocacy when involved with Alberta Children Services. Services offered are advocacy, legal direction and one-on-one support.
6. Health For Two Program
A Program that promotes and assists in maintaining healthy pregnancies as well as the initial two months post natal health. Services offered are prenatal education resources and community resources.
7. Choices Program
The Choices Program focuses on youth who are at risk of dropping out of school. This program is delivered at multiple schools throughout the city of Edmonton. Activities include life-skills, workshops, teaching coping skills, talking circles, recreational, cultural and craft activities as well as informal counseling.
8. SNUG Program
A harm reduction project in collaboration between Edmonton Police Services, MCFS, Edmonton Food Bank, Women’s Emergency Accommodation Centre and Alberta Health Services to assist individuals involved in street prostitution. Services offered are ongoing support, food, clothing, basic needs assistance, informal counseling, advocacy, addictions guidance, safety planning and community services referrals
9. Community Follow Up Program (PSECA)
A program in collaboration with Alberta Child and Youth Services working with children and youth identified in a high risk and sexually exploited situation. Services offered are ongoing support, advocacy, youth work, informal counseling and community referrals supports. A program in collaboration with Alberta Child and Youth Services working with children and youth identified in a high risk and sexually exploited situation. Services offered are ongoing support, advocacy, youth work, informal counseling and community referrals supports.
10. Kinship Care Program
This program connects children in care with extended family or other significant individuals in their life. Kinship care closely follows services provided and requirements of our foster care program.